An internationally recognised Australian icon, the Dog on the Tucker Box is located 5 miles (8 km) north of Gundagai, just off the Hume Highway. The legend of the Dog began in the 1850s with a poem Bullocky Bill by an otherwise unknown author ‘Bowyang Yorke’, about the partnership of the bullockies who opened up the land to settlers, and the dogs who accompanied them and guarded their possessions. A version amended by Jack Moses captured the imagination of Australians both in the bush and throughout the colonies in the early 1900s. The move to create a monument to the early pioneers, featuring the now famous Dog, grew through the 1920s, culminating in the unveiling of the Dog on the Tucker Box statue on 28 November 1932. The legend was then immortalised in popular song by Jack O’Hagan, author of Along the Road to Gundagai, with Where the Dog Sits on the Tucker Box. The Dog and its many songs and poems have put Gundagai firmly on the world map. Today, the Dog on the Tucker Box Pioneer Monument welcomes visitors with a newly redesigned garden precinct featuring Australian animal figurines, a cafe serving hot and cold refreshments, souvenirs, Australiana and old wares, and a peaceful picnic area away from the busy highway, with plenty of parking (caravans and tourist buses included). Special events benefitting a range of charities are held throughout the year, culminating in the Dog’s Birthday each November.
Visit the Dogs Official Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/thedogonthetuckerbox